Thursday, February 03, 2011

Day 33 - Welcome Baby Follow Up

Well we have had some cold weather here in South Texas, not in Chicago or Boston standards, but for us it's been cold. As I mentioned last night I was heading to bed early to read and not use excess electricity. We had rolling blackouts most of the day (yesterday) to prevent a major blackout from the increased power usage due to an ice storm in the Dallas area. This was statewide, and so about every hour and a half I lost power for about 15 minutes. Seems crazy to me but apparently it worked and today we're back to normal.

Well, normal, if we were always watching for snow and ice. You would think we would know by now that the weather here is unpredictable at best - so I'm not holding my breath for snow or ice. I am going to make some cards tonight and I just may feature some winter scenes to commemorate the closing of schools, the cancellation of Continental flights beginning at 3 PM today prior to even a flake falling! Oh, how I love Texas!!!! Actually, I do love Texas it's the weather "people" that drive me crazy! There just seems to be a hysteria in forecasting these days and with all of the equipment etc. I just don't know how they can get it so wrong, so often!

But enough of that weather stuff, let's move on to the details of last night's baby cards. I like these even better than the first one on Tuesday night, but you have to get started and then see how things evolve. Last night I used the Punch Bunch SAB set for this adorable blue owl! Is this cute or what? I used Bashful Blue Brads for the eyes. They are retired, but I still have a lot of them so I didn't have to improvise. I think this is a great baby boy card. I used the following punches : corner rounder, word window, modern label and the two-step owl. All of our punches can be found on pgs. 200-203 of the current IBC (Idea Book/Catalog). I would like to have had a Bashful Blue ribbon to use, but we don't have a current one and in order to keep this card current, I used the Marina Mist 3/8" taffeta. Paper colors were simply Bashful Blue, Chocolate Chip and Very Vanilla.

My next card was one I thought could be used for those babies whose sex has not yet been determined or when you just don't want to use pink or blue.  All of these cards are interchangeable both with the papers and the stamps.  I used the Short & Sweet set for the sentiment and the little diaper pin. On this card I only used the corner rounder punch on the Very Vanilla layers, just to change up the look and give additional options when making these cards.  The precious little rabbit and tree are both from Forest Friends.

One of the most fun parts of this last night was making the gift tags. When I made my first card I had made a regular size card 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 and then I decided I wanted to make a smaller card, so I cut off 1 1/2 " ending with a card 4 x 4 1/4" and a 1 1/2" x 4 1/4" piece (already folded) left over. That's when I decided that I could make gift tags. They are pretty self explanatory. I used the Modern Label to punch out the top and that can then be used for the bottom layer of the sentiment for the card.  Then I simply stamped Welcome Baby through the slot.  On the Daffodil tag I stamped Welcome Baby and punched it out and lined it up so it shows through the top. These could also be made separately without the card.  I love the possibilities.

And so now Day 33 is in the books and I will begin a new project to post tomorrow.  If we get the snow (big IF) then I will have lots of time tomorrow to craft!  

Until tomorrow - get inky and create some fun cards.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...